Bintulu Airport

alt


The current Bintulu airport is situated about 23 km from the old airport started its operation on 19 December 2002 and was officially declared open by previous Prime Minister Tun Dr. Mahathir bin Mohamad. First B747-400 landed at Bintulu new airport on 19 December 2002.

Bintulu Airport History

History of Bintulu airport began in early 1937 when the British colony built an airfield situated between a river at one end and the sea coast at the other end.

Bintulu old airport was open for operation on 1st September 1955, with a grass surface runway catering for Rapid and Twin Pioneer aircraft operated by Borneo Airways Limited.

In 1963, bigger types of aircraft such as DC3 services were introduced.

In 1966, the runway was resurfaced with bitumen and the terminal building was also extended to cater for increasing number of passenger.

On 1st of July 1968, Malaysia Singapore Airlines introduced scheduled Fokker 27 services into Bintulu. The terminal building and the parking apron was extended in 1981 to accommodate Fokker Friendship (F50) aircraft.
 

 

Traffic
2003
2004
2005
2006
2007
2008
2009
Passengers
427,894
464,576
487,077
449,673
381,158
417,918
487,060 
Cargo handled
(metric tonnes)
940
1,375
2,110
2,205
2,252
1,978
1,903
Aircraft movements
13,627
13,546
13,619
11,804
7,093
16,787
51,009
               
Traffic
2010
2011 2012 2013      
Passengers
557,459
590,253 661,553 779,774      
Cargo handled
(metric tonnes)
1,703 2,071 2,574 2,553      
Aircraft movements 24,246 17,122 12,294 13,661      



Lapangan Terbang Bintulu,
97000 Bintulu,
Sarawak,
MALAYSIA.
Tel: +6086 339 163
Fax: +6086 337 011